Monday, April 12, 2010

Amalgam be gone!

This past week I got all 7 of my Amalgam/Mercury tooth fillings removed and replaced. Usually I love going to the dentist (a little strange, I know) but I was apprehensive about this procedure. I am not a fan of drugs and I had to get a local anesthetic in four areas of my mouth. They also started me on nitrous oxide but within two minutes I started breaking out in a sweat and had it replaced with pure oxygen. Drills, my mouth wired open and 3 hours later, no more toxic mercury in this mouth. Thank goodness.

This is about 1/10 of the metal that the dentist removed. Amazing that years ago (and in some dental practices today) it was common place to fill cavities with a deadly poison. I wonder what we will look back on in 20 years and say, "I can't believe in 2010 we used to ______?" (Drink water with flouride, have health care options that were constitutional, think traditional sunscreen protected us from cancer.) Hmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment