Thursday, November 18, 2010

9-1-1, It was bound to happen.

Sometimes it is hard to tell if Luke and Eli are particularly rambunctious or if they are just being boys. I know they have lots of energy and laugh while jumping, spinning and flipping off just about anything in our house.

Yesterday I went to change the laundry in the basement, heard a scream and as I was running up the stairs heard Luke say, "Eli has blood." I walk in to find Eli holding his toothbrush (which he can be found doing about 25% of the day) full of blood and screaming. I picked him up, he was hysterical and I asked Luke what happened.

In Luke's terms, "I bumped him off the stool (in the bathroom where they brush their teeth) and he hit his head." There was a lot of blood and I was having trouble telling where it was coming from. I took Eli to the sink to wash him off but it just kept coming. I tried to lay him down but when I did that he started to whimper, his eyes fluttered and I had no idea what was happening. I called 911 thinking maybe he had a concussion. They instructed me to keep him upright.

Once they arrived Eli had calmed down and was waving at the firetrucks as they pulled up. We all thought the blood was coming from his mouth, the paramedic looked him over as best he could but stubborn Eli would not let go of me or let anyone look in his mouth. Turns out he had gashed his chin. We decided to forgo an ambulance ride and take him to our pediatrician to get it fixed up. Forget stitches, nowadays they have super glue. Within the hour he was as good as new, proud of his boo boo.





Lo and behold, ten minutes after this he fell out of the cart at Costco. Oh sweet love. Then proceeded to trip over his fire truck once we were home and get a fat lip.

Well, not my most stellar day as a mother.

Lesson learned~ Luke is very adventuresome and while Eli so wants and so tries to keep up with him, I need to set boundaries. If you were to ask Luke what my job as a mother is he will tell you, "To keep me safe and healthy." I am hoping these boundaries will do just that.

1 comment: