Saturday, February 6, 2010

Coconut lime cookies- vegan friendly.

Luke and I were in the mood~ well, really I was in the mood for something sweet and he loves to be my taste tester so we decided to whip up some cookies. This recipe comes from Vive le Vegan. I have made a few different batches and have changed up the recipe (depending on what I have on hand and to make it free of refined sugar) and they have always been gobbled up. Something a little different~

Ingredients:
1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1/4 cup + 2 TB agave
1 tsp lime zest
1/4 tsp sea salt
1 1/4 cup flour- I used kamut and wheat
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/3 cup maple syrup
2 1/2 TB fresh squeeze lime juice
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/4 cup coconut oil

Preheat oven to 350. In a bowl, combine coconut, lime zest, and salt. Sift in the flour, baking powder and baking soda. Stir well. In another bowl, combine maple syrup with lime juice, agave, vanilla, and oil. Stir well. Add the wet mixture to the dry and gently fold in (be careful not to over mix). Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and flatten a wee bit. Bake for 11 minutes or until lightly golden. Let cool for one minute and remove from sheet. Voila!

In trying to stay away from dairy, we have been over indulging in cashew milk. I whip up a batch about once a week. Matt and I enjoy it but Luke will not budge from his "milkie". All you have to do is let 1 cup of raw cashews soak overnight. Drain them and put them in a high powered blender with 4 cups water, 1 tsp agave and a pinch of salt. Blend and chill. Oh I love how simple it is.

2 comments:

  1. I made these tonight, they were so delicious! My girls gobbled them up, which is a huge compliment. They are so fussy. Except I had some texture problems. They ended up as one giant cookie spread everywhere. Any ideas? My batter seemed a bit like pancake batter instead of cookie batter. I tried adding some more flour to the second batch but they still spread. Despite the spreading, like I said the children loved them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny you mention the spreading because I had the same thing happen my first batch. I figured I just forgot an ingredient so I made them again and they turned out great. Hmm...you could always try putting them in the fridge for an hour or so before baking. Let me know if that helps at all!

    ReplyDelete