Monday, February 1, 2010

Really, Snow White too.

What is it about Disney stories that just entrance children? Luke loves Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. I can just not get passed some parts of the story line~ the evil queen, the request to kill Snow White, the huntsman needing to return with her heart inside a box to prove the task was completed, magic mirrors and potions and then her laying in a casket. Hmm....the pictures do not help the either. Thank goodness for a black Sharpie marker.

A seemingly innocent and jovial story.


Throughout the book, I found the following words~ magic- 4 times, evil- 2 times, wicked- 2 times, kill- 2 times, blood- 1 time, casket- 3 times and goblin- 2 times.

On this page, the "evil queen is looking for a magic potion." Notice the skull on the table and the "bird that is mad" as Luke refers to it.

As a mother, I feel it is upon me to protect my children from those things in which they are too young to comprehend. Whether it comes from Disney, a child in the neighborhood or something seen out in public, I owe it to them.

2 comments:

  1. You must cringe at Brent's company name! It is so important to protect our children. And we can't stop be vigilant or else we end up with experiences like my horrid one at the Disney Princess and the Frog movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did mean to ask him how he came up with it but just out of curiosity. I really have no problem with any of those ideas, themes, words if they are in an age appropriate book or movie. Poor Luke has had so many movies, shows, books turned off or closed because of this......he does not even flinch anymore. I had a similar experience to your Prince and the Frog movie. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete