Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Beaming with Pride.



I have been proud of many things over the course of my life but nothing has prepared me for the unannounced, hit you over the head, WOW times a child can bring. 

This past weekend we visited my parent's house in Ponce Inlet, FL. Going to Grammy and Pops' house is always a nice, little getaway. They live in a quaint town that has its own beach bar, surf spot, white picket fence park, boat launch, soft sand beach and historic lighthouse. Luke is always enthralled by the tall, brick red lighthouse. Completed in 1887, it is a historical landmark for the area and Luke searches for it around every bend during our walks. 

On Sunday afternoon, we decided to drive Pops' 1978 Volkswagon bus (a Luke favorite!) over and climb to the top. I wasn't prepared for what that trip had in store for me.



Luke started out, taking each step one by one. Matt was prepared to carry him but slowly and surely the kiddo kept going, by himself.




Lifting his little right leg up and down, higher and higher. 203 very steep steps up.....




and then we reached the top. It was amazingly gorgeous and I was in awe, so very proud.  For some reason, I could not grasp that he had done it on his own. I hope this is just 1 of the 1000 times I feel this way throughout his life.  A precious moment to treasure and a lesson of the heart~ never underestimate the raw power of excitement in a child. 



2 comments:

  1. So very proud of my little guy!

    One of lifes' greatest joys is watching your children accomplish great things. Loved your story, Jess!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Jess, what fun images!!! WOW, Luke--I am so proud!!! I LOVE the bus!!! I feel a trip coming on!!!

    ReplyDelete