Tuesday, June 30, 2009

The Queen of...


Banana Bread! For the last five years I have tried and tried to make my husband a loaf of banana bread that he enjoys as much as his mothers. I have tried her recipe but could never get it just right. I tried dozens of others, some were too dry, others were too banana-y, some were too sweet and others were not sweet enough BUT finally....drum roll......I was able to make a delicious, two thumbs up, five star loaf. Not once, but twice. The recipe comes from a great book recommended to me called, "The Amazing Wheat Book" by LeArta Moulton. It is chock full of good, wholesome recipes- everything from a homemade taco seasoning to bread. Here it is:

Banana Nut Bread
1/2 cup butter
1 cup sweetener (I used 1/4c honey and 3/4c agave)
2 eggs, beaten
3 bananas, mashed
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 t baking powder
1 t soda
1 cup chopped walnuts

Cream butter and honey. Add eggs, then mashed banana. Sift dry ingredients (this is worth the extra time) and add to first mixture. Added chopped walnuts. Bake in buttered 9*5 loaf pan at 350 for 45 min - 1 hour.


(I could not snap the picture fast enough, Matt had already dug in!)

Lucky enough for me, when I told my mother-in-law about my accomplishment, she said, "Good. I can finally stop making it for him." Love ya Grams!

1 comment:

  1. Mmmm. Don't think I have tried this one yet. I always make it from the bran batter. But I will give this one a shot.

    ReplyDelete