Friday, June 12, 2009

Give me a B!

Give me a B. Give me a P. Give me an A. BPA~ no way! 

About two years, there was a ton of media coverage around BPA (Bisphenol A) and its effects on infants and toddlers. Being both a new mother and determined researcher, I wanted to know more.  I started to look into it and soon our abundant supply of plastic tupperware became crayon holders for Luke and digging toys for the sand box. It was just too simple to start using Pyrex and glass containers for our storage. 

But I continued to purchase BPA-free bottles and sippy cups until about a year ago. They were safe, right? Oh so wrong. You can't trust the FDA, they are a government run agency. Enough said. Thank goodness too because just a few months ago the FDA advisory board  stated that the agency disregarded evidence suggesting that the levels of BPA in plastic products could cause harm to infants and toddlers. This is after they were previously declared safe. In fact, the FDA admitted that it was wrong to base their decision on studies run by the chemical industry- ya think? In fact, the case is now reopened. Come on here.  

What we love- Klean Kanteens! They even have an adapter cap and spout so it can work like a sippy cup. The only semi-painful detail is that the caps need to be handwashed but the stainless steel bottle is dishwasher safe. Luke likes to use mommy's "big bottle." 

No B, No P, No A~ okay!  



1 comment:

  1. Good to know! Somehow I now feel the need to throw out all my Tupperware.

    ReplyDelete